Saturday, February 9, 2008

January 22nd Nilphamari/ Job Assignment

The past few days have been interesting but boring. I was reassigned last week from microfinance to MNCH--Maternal, Neonatal, and Child Healthcare. Immediately, my new boss wanted me to accompany her to Nilphamari, a northern district in Bangladesh. Sunday morning I woke up to be ready by 10 (and of course, because this is Bangladesh, I didn't get picked up until 1130) and drove about 8 hours to stay at my boss' brothers house. Turns out hes a member of the (currently unrecognized) Parliament. [Since writing this I also have come to find out he is a movie star. a big one.] I had a lukewarm shower (celebrate!) and a nice bed. It was sweet.

I spent the past few days watching my boss evaluate everyone from the Shasthya Shebika (the lowest level employee at BRAC, trained in the simplest of health care provision, name meaning "health volunteer") to the district manager (the highest level field worker). She has been speaking in Bangla the whole time, but I can still get the gist of the international organogram by watching her.

The food was pretty intolerable. Having a rough time. I gag at every swallow...hope my membership at the American Club will be complete when I get back so I can eat at the restaurant inside! I think I am going to sit and wait for someone to let me in if I have to. Last night, Habib-bhai ordered me boiled potatoes with nothing but a little salt. It actually tasted like boiled potatoes from my mom's stew and I lOVED it. I just really need substantive protein that is not peanut butter (ate a jar this week).

My job here is to evaluate MNCH and write the annual reports for the program. I need to go to the field to get a solid understanding of how interpersonal communication is really implemented for the socialization of some of our programs (so I can explain it) and I have been gathering data at every field office. I am excited to replicate the resources available to me in my studies thus far and to create a document that will be more helpful for people of my field. Luckily, my job will be a lot easier because of the way field workers are expected to record progress. Insanely meticulous. In the process of all of this research, I have been able to interact with health workers and volunteers in the provision of their services. Their care is so basic as hygiene and nutrition, so I have been knowledgeable enough to help. That isn't my job, and I know its only a few people I help when I am here, and it's not like I need that 'Chosen One' validation of my work with BRAC, but god it feels good to work with these kids! Their innocence, paired with the simplest of needs (like body heat. I just held a few kids for a few minutes after drinking a cup of tea and they wouldnt even let go. I didnt want to let go either, but more out of maternal instinct than need), makes it so hard not to spend this time giving hugs, vaccinations, and cleaning kids up. I just have to remember that this policy work could potentially shape the future infrastructure of programs just like this one in such a way that more kids will see these services in the long run. But I want to just cuddle. wonkwonk.

Oh, and this whole trip has been spent with 19 hour workdays. Turns out Rahman-Bhai hooked me up with the only Bangladeshi worker who exceeds the 8hour day, and she does it by 11. I like it though. better than just sitting and twiddling my thumbs alone in the northern districts of Bangladesh! Afsana-apa, my boss, is so nice and funny. She has a masters in public health (from Harvard, no less) and an MD. Damn, shes awesome. When we were driving home, we talked forever. Neither of us could sleep through the potholes/ditches that were scattered about the northern roads, though she eventually dozed off while the car was still relatively violent. Pretty funny to watch a limp body get whipped around the land rover as it bottomed out...and all the while the person sleeps sound. HA! Im sure I looked just like that when I fell asleep.

No comments: